"… a landmark in the study of news coverage of racial issues."
- William J. Sloan, Museum of Modern Art
"…the most probing look at news coverage I have ever seen on videotape. It is lively, careful and professional in the best sense."
- Todd Gitlin, University of California, Berkeley
"…an admiral piece of work. It gets down to particulars."
- John Corry, The New York Times
"Illuminating… makes the lessons of that experience, for the news media and others, a little harder to forget."
- Gloria Cooper, Columbia Journalism Review
"…an extremely useful introduction to the practical, ethical, and political aspects of journalism, particularly television news."
- William Boddy, New York University
"Highly teleliterate. A persuasive indictment of American media stereotypes."
- Jim Hoberman, Village Voice
"…a polemic which thinks before kicking."
- Sunday Times, London